Child Marriage - 1883

As I was growing up I had to face numerous obstacles- I was learning to incorporate exercise into my life, appreciate the arts, learn my school subjects, and augment my interest for books- the list is unceasing. The one obstacle, or most impeding event of life for that matter, would have to be my mother and father's decision to arrange my marriage. But that was not the worst- they had decided to do it at such young age. This fact distressed me to an extent. I feel that anyone at such a young age should not be placed with a burden so immeasurable. Marriage is a serious thing, and it is simply something that cannot be handled by young children. In my perspective, it simply too large of a burden to be undertaken at an age where mature developments have not yet taken place.

Let me inform you that there are two forms of "marriage" that take place in India. One is coined "betrothal" in which the parents decide the fate of their child with other family friends, or also known as rishtidars. Betrothal is violable and can be broken if the child wishes to do so on the basis of a valid and justified reason. "Marriage" on the other hand is a definite arrangement and cannot be violated on any grounds. It appears to me I was betrothed three times before this marriage proposal. I was told that two girls chosen for me had died in turn, and therefore I infer i was betrothed three times. I have a faint recollection,however, that the third betrothal took place in my seventh year of school.

Marriage is not as simple as it seems in Hindu families. The parents of the bridegroom and bride often bring themselves to ruin over it. They use dozens of hours, countless hours of time, and fastidiously choose "perfect" decorations to make everything seem ornate and special. I must give the parents credit for investing so much effort and time. After all- they are looking out for me as best as they can. Thus I am so far ambivalent about the feelings of marriage. On one hand there is the selfish, conceited argument I happen to propose- and on the other end there is my father, my mother, my family, my everything...

.........

A couple more hours have passed by and I am now grounded on the position that marriage best suits me. Recently my father was involved in an accident. I am still shocked! I learned the coach my father was traveling in had toppled over towards the end of the journey. I was deeply disappointed and distraught. What was I to do? I rushed to him and saw he was all covered in bandages and injuries. I was grateful God had let him survive and brought him back to me- my respect for him increased beyond the explanation of words as I heard he was ready to resume the baraat(procession of marriage ceremony.) I am devoted to my parents and now realize that all my happiness and pleasure should be devoted to them primarily. The secondary pleasures of life come after my parents... as they are the ones who have taught me to love, to believe, and to never give up. I have come to confide in God, my bhagwan, more than ever...

No comments:

Post a Comment