My New Movement... The Salt March-March 12,1931

I am today embarking on a treacherous and long journey to help all the Indians across the country of India realize there are people who are willing to fight and take action. I am devoted to the betterment of this nation and, to prove our position as a firm part of society, we are embarking on a great Salt March. This Salt March will cover 240 miles and we will eventually arrive at a village near Dandi...

This may seem like a trifling experience or event to put fort with, but I can assure you it carries more meaning than its name may suggest. Salt, like other basic living necessities, is necessary to the living of mankind. We can not live without salt, as it controls the pulse of our hearts- the same way it will help us eventually control the nation's pulse. The salt we will make naturally from the oceans will demonstrate that we are not scared to use our mother land's natural resources. The Indian Ocean is ours- why should we be scared to use our own natural resources? This is now what dear God and all of our Indian fathers would have done.

If we are breaking a law, we are doing so correctly because unjust laws are meant to be broken. I believe that we should put upa fight not for vengeful actions- but to show that what the British are doing is incorrect. I, therefore, am not scared to violate or obstruct any law. As transient as this event may seem, I pray it leaves a drastic impact to shatter the willpower of the British and weaken them. Let me clarify, when I speak of weaken, I mean morally, not physically. Dear diary, I hope for the best because today one of the most populated movements will take shape. I am getting ready to leave for the march- there are already people gathered outside as I continue to write the entry. It is nearing noon and we have a long 24 day journey to encounter. I must say, it does seem very exciting and monumental for me. I have never been on such a great journey by foot and hope that my years of walking to and from office in South Africa pay off.



UPDATE


The day is now April 6, 1931 and we have successfully reached Dandi, and have successfully made our salt. We have proven ourselves and soon- to continue with our momentum- we will go to protest the Dharasana Salt Works( a large factory that operates to produce salt in great quantities). We will protest with Satyagraha there, and will show the British the land, the ocean, and the salt is ours...

No comments:

Post a Comment