The Natal Indian Congress/ Settlement in India-August 22, 1894

I have decided, due to the tenacity of my friends, that I will indeed stay in South Africa to help my fellow Indians fight for their rights and ability to vote. The government has been unjust in claiming the Indians simply can't vote for their race; I myself find this completely unjustified. I have therefore decided to find the Natal Indian Congress- a collection, or organization you might like to call it, of Indians who will try their best to fight for their rights. With deference to Dadabhai Naoroji, who had presided over the Indian Natal Congress in 1893, I call for the new organization at the Natal Indian Congress.

I pray the society gathers all Indians as a community, with indifference to whether they are well-experienced in the field of politics, and dedicate themselves to the moral and social uplift of its members. I hope that this is not a "one-man show" and together, as a collective unit, we may overcome the injustice that is being done. Should any of the members digress from their intended purpose, I should try my best to bring them back on track and ready to fight again. I dearly hope this organization will be of great success...

No comments:

Post a Comment