Tensions on Independence- Hindu and Muslim Riots- 1946

I have recently been released from prison and another piece of distressing news has hit me. It keeps haunting me so I am forced to write about my experience dealing with the news here. After my release, I had been notified that though with the touch of independence on the brink of success, riots have broken out between our brothers and sisters. Hindus and Muslims are fighting recklessly, claiming one racial group is better than the other. The tensions are continuously increasing and both feel that there will be no adequate representation in government. My dear Jinnah is also siding with the perception that Muslims are discriminated against- although I am taking full measures to ensure such a calamity may not fall upon my dear Musilm friends' heads.

I remember when I was a child, living with my father in Porbandar, we often used to visit a temple. The priest, or person who recited the daily prayers, recited verse from both the Hindu Gita and Muslim Koran.(the two books are religious scriptures from Hindu and Muslim descent- it is similar to the Bible of the Christians.) The priest only cared that God was being worshipped- in the process I also got to learn the Muslim ways. The way the Hindus and Muslims right now are dividing themselves is of utmost concern. It pains me deeply.

Violence is breaking across the nation. Both sides are currently unwilling to compromise and talks have begun about the division of India. My dear friend Jinnah has given up the opportunity of becoming the first prime minister of India and has also leaned toward the ways of the Muslim rebels. They are still fighting greatly and this distraughts me. I wished for a united India, not an independent India with factional divisions. I am in deep agony and will go and try to talk to many of my Muslim brothers after we have attained independence. But let you keep in mind dear diary, these are just talks and rumors so far. Nothing more. At least I wish not. Till next entry of independence, I bid farewell!

No comments:

Post a Comment